A. Information Collected
We collect two types of information from visitors to the Site: (1) personally identifiable information; and (2) non-personally identifiable information, such as your IP address or cookies.
1. Personally Identifiable Information
“Personally Identifiable Information” is information that identifies you personally, such as your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, or company name. The Foundation collects and stores the personally identifiable information that you have provided to the Site. Here are some examples of manners in which your personally identifiable information may be collected on the Site:
- We may collect your first and last name, address, telephone number, e-mail address and information about issues that are important to you when you join the Foundation.
- We may collect your e-mail address, name and other contact information from you if you choose to sign up for emails or newsletters.
- We may collect your first and last name, address, telephone number, e-mail address and credit card or other payment information if you choose to make a donation via the Site.
- We may collect your first name, last name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address if you choose to participate in a contest or sweepstakes offered on the Site.
- We may collect your first name, last name, and e-mail address if you contact us with a question.
The above list provides an example of the personally identifiable information that may be collected on the Site. From time to time, we may collect personally identifiable information from you in different ways. If you do not want the Foundation to collect your personally identifiable information, please do not provide it to us.
2. Non-Personally Identifiable Information
“Non-Personally Identifiable Information” can be technical information or it can be demographic information, such as your age, gender or interests. Non-personally identifiable information does NOT identify you personally. Here are some examples of the non-personally identifiable information that is collected via the Site and a description of how this information is used:
- Internet Protocol (IP) Address: Your IP address is a number that lets computers attached to the Internet know where to send you data - such as the web pages you view. This information is used to deliver our web pages to you upon request, to tailor our Site to the interests of our users and to measure traffic within the Site.
- Cookie: A “cookie” is a small text file that may be used to collect information about your activity on the Site. For example, when someone visits a page within the Site, a cookie is placed on the user’s machine (if the user accepts cookies) or is read if the user has visited the Site previously. You may set most browsers to notify you if you receive a cookie, or you may choose to block cookies with your browser, but if you do, you may not be able to take advantage of the personalized features enjoyed by other users on the Site.
We may provide this non-personally identifiable information to third parties. For example, we might inform third parties about the number of users of our Site and the activities they conduct while on the Site. We also may provide trusted partners with general information regarding our users and visitors.
Finally, the Foundation may combine any public information you provide in any of the public areas on the Site with non-personally identifiable information to create aggregate data to display on the Site. This information may also be disclosed to third parties. Aggregate data does not contain any information that could be used to contact you or identify you personally.
B. Use of Information Collected on the Site
1. Personally-Identifiable Information
We use the personally identifiable information and non-personally identifiable information that is collected from you via the Site primarily for the following purposes:
- To verify the accuracy of any content or communication submitted by you to the Site;
- To deliver services to you that have been requested by you, such as information that you request;
- To complete a donation;
- To fulfill the terms of a contest or sweepstakes;
- To help create and publish content most relevant to you;
- To allow you access to limited-entry areas of the Site; and
- To contact you in response to a request made or question posed by you.
2. Non-Personally Identifiable Information
Non-personally identifiable information is used as described above and in other ways as permitted by applicable laws.
C. Sharing and Disclosure of Information
1. Personally Identifiable Information
Your personally identifiable information may be shared or disclosed in the following instances:
- To fulfill a service to you. For example, we may use your personally identifiable information to communicate with you regarding any communication submitted by you to the Site, or to verify the accuracy of any communication submitted by you to the Site. Also, if you are entering a sweepstakes or contest, we may use your personally identifiable information in order to fulfill the terms of that promotion. This means that we may share the information for prize fulfillment purposes or mail carriers.
- To complete and process a donation made by you. If you choose to make a donation of money through the Site, we may collect from you your credit card number, billing address and other information to fulfill your request. We may also provide such information, or other personal information provided by you, to unaffiliated third parties as necessary to complete your donation (for example, to process your credit card).
- To unaffiliated third-party service providers, agents or independent contractors who help us maintain the Site and provide other administrative services to us (including, but not limited to, processing registration data, attempting to confirm the accuracy of any content or communication submitted by you to the Site, sending customer communications on Foundation’s behalf, and entry collection, winner selection and prize fulfillment for contests, sweepstakes and other promotions). Because such unaffiliated third-party service providers that help us administer our Site will have access to users’ personally identifiable information, if you do not wish for our unaffiliated third-party service providers to have access to your information, please do not register or submit any personally identifiable information to the Site.
- To comply with the law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary in order to conform to the requirements of law or comply with legal process served on the Foundation, protect and defend our rights or property, including the rights and property of the Foundation and the Site or act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of our end users.
- To third parties as part of any corporate reorganization process including, but not limited to, mergers, acquisitions, and sales of all or substantially all of the Foundation or Site assets.
- To protect against potential fraud, we may verify with third parties the information collected from this Site. In the course of such verification, we may receive personally identifiable information about you from such services.
D. Collection and Use of Information from Children Under the Age of 13
The Site is not directed to children under the age of thirteen and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of thirteen on the Site. If we become aware that we have inadvertently received personal information from a visitor under the age of thirteen on the Site, we will delete the information from our records.
E. Forums, Chat Rooms and Other Public Posting Areas
Please note that any information you include in a message you post to any chat room, forum, comment box, or other public posting area is available to anyone with Internet access and will therefore be publicly available. If you don’t want people to know your e-mail address, for example, do not include it in any message you post publicly. PLEASE BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WHEN DISCLOSING ANY INFORMATION IN CHAT ROOMS, FORUMS AND OTHER PUBLIC POSTING AREAS. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE USE BY OTHERS OF THE INFORMATION THAT YOU DISCLOSE IN CHAT ROOMS, FORUMS AND OTHER PUBLIC POSTING AREAS.
You will only receive e-mail from us if you request to be added to our e-mail list. At any time, you may “opt-out” and remove your e-mail address from our files.
G. Third Party Web Sites
This statement applies solely to information collected on the Site. The Site may contain links to other web sites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of these other web sites.
In the event that all or part of our assets or sold or acquired by another party, or in the event of a merger, you grant us the right to assign the personally identifiable and non-personally identifiable information collected via the Site.
No data transmissions over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us and you understand that any information that you submit to the Site is done at your own risk.
Once we receive your transmission, we make reasonable efforts to ensure security on the systems. We use firewalls to protect your information from unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. We do not store your credit card numbers. However, please note that this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed by breach of such firewalls and secure server software.
If we learn of a security systems breach we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. By using this Site or providing personally identifiable information to us you agree that we can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy and administrative issues relating to your use of this Site. We may post a notice on the Site if a security breach occurs. We may also send an email to you at the email address you have provided to us in these circumstances. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing.
K. Contacting Us
Effective Date: January 29, 2009.